The land, for most of its recorded history, has been part of a great royal hunting forest that surrounded Windsor Castle. In 1990 Bracknell Forest Council declared Englemere Pond as a local nature reserve. In August 2016 an unexploded old military shell was discovered in Englemere Pond and blown up in a controlled explosion by the police.
Englemere House, located close to Heatherwood Hospital, was built around 1815 in the Italianate style and was bought in 1903 by Field Marshal Lord Roberts. It remained his home until his death in 1914 but his wife Aileen Roberts, 2nd Countess Roberts continued to live in the house long after his death. It later became the home of Princess Helena Victoria and Princess Marie Louise during the Second World War. It became the head office of the Chartered Institute of Building in 1971 and remained there until 2013.